Litigation Attorney on the Coast
Coast Land Law works with clients on a wide variety of litigation issues to help them plan, prepare, and pursue effective litigation strategies and practices. Litigation includes understanding and exploring reasonable settlement options as an alternative to litigation. The common issues we help clients with include:
| || |
This is not an exhaustive list and is merely offered for illustration.
You should consult with a litigation attorney if you are engaged in a legal dispute or expect that there may be a legal dispute. While many of our cases involve active litigation, a number of our clients are seeking advice to understand how best to resolve difficult legal problems, even if there is no active lawsuit.
We always begin by helping you identify the key facts and issues to consider based on what your objectives are. It is important early on to be proactive and identify how the legal system may, or may not, help you pursue your objectives successfully.
“One of the most important things we do is to help clients understand how to use investigation and litigation, and how those tools fit a particular client’s situation. A lawsuit is an immensely powerful tool for seeking justice, but we make sure our clients never go in blind to how the process will work,” explains Sunil.
Additionally, it is important to understand how the litigation process works in practice. “Depending on the nature of the case, we may want to conduct some preliminary research, review the facts carefully, and gauge whether or not it is worth the time, energy, and money to pursue a case. You always want to look before you leap,” Sunil cautions.
Litigation can have many purposes. While you never want to file a lawsuit, you are not prepared to see through, many lawsuits result in a settlement and raising the stakes by filing a lawsuit can send a clear message to the other side that you are determined and should be taken seriously.
Trial lawyer Sunil Raju is the most active attorney on the coast, filing and defending lawsuits on a regular basis. He appears in front of the local judges consistently, knows the local attorneys, and can help guide you based on his knowledge and experience.
Keeping the Knife Sharp
In addition to focusing on real estate litigation, landlord-tenant issues, and land use, trial lawyer Sunil Raju maintains an active general litigation practice and handles a variety of legal disputes.
“I make it a point to help clients with a variety of litigation issues where my skills and knowledge can serve a client’s objectives. As a result, I go up against other trial lawyers in the area, in Portland, and across Oregon, and I see how they are investigating, filing, and litigating lawsuits.
“Trial lawyers are like the surgeons of the legal system. It is important to stay sharp and active, so that your skills do not diminish. If you were going to have surgery, you would want a doctor who is regularly performing surgeries, so they can adjust quickly when something comes up unexpectedly,” says Sunil.
Attorney Sunil Raju represents clients in both civil and criminal litigation in his general litigation practice. “I make it a point to continue to represent criminal defendants, because criminal cases typically involve the most litigation. As a formal prosecutor, I think it is important to make sure I regularly go to court, so that I can maintain my trial skills.
“Also, I enjoy the variety of civil litigation. I help clients with business disputes, probate litigation, and contested conservatorships and guardianships. I get to see how the local judges make decisions and know what they consider as persuasive arguments, which helps me in all our cases. There is a saying: ‘A good lawyer knows the law. A great lawyer knows the judge.’ I find this to be absolutely true,” explains Sunil.
- Defended client as excess counsel in million-dollar personal injury lawsuit.
- Represented client in high-conflict family dispute involving conservatorship and guardianship proceedings.
- Helped client file conservatorship proceedings to facilitate sale of real estate owned with incapacitated spouse.
- Filed and obtained a stalking protection order in a case against a neighbor, who attacked our client in a difficult neighbor dispute.
- Obtained a dismissal of a fraudulent restraining order filed against our client based on false accusations.
- Defended our client charged criminally in a domestic dispute by persuading the grand jury not to issue an indictment.
- Filed a lawsuit on behalf of our client against a business for breach of contract, unlawful trade practices, and unjust enrichment.
- Received a dismissal of criminal charges filed against our client, protecting their record and future employment opportunities.
- Settled a case resulting in our client obtaining ownership of disputed real property after filing a lawsuit alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Granted a voluntary dismissal by opposing attorney after demonstrating that the opposing party’s collection efforts were legally barred by the statute of limitations.
Contact an Experienced Litigation Attorney on the Oregon Coast
For assistance with litigation matters on the Oregon coast, call Coast Land Law at (503) 470-7070 or contact us online to find out more information.